Updated Arnold Shader and Tracking

They say three times is a charm. I re-shot the footage a third time and finally was able to pull a halfway decent track. I struggled with my original two tracks for many, many embarrassing hours. They drab colors along with my inability to understand how to frame track-able backgrounds worked really well together. It's all a learning experience, so they say. Lets start with some good news. The photo below is an updated render of the VTOL with Arnold shaders. It is starting to look much better but still needs work.

The next group of photos follow the usual setup. Notice this time I managed to frame lots of detail to help Nuke better track the shot.

The next group of photos are a short series of screen captures that show the track and the point cloud.

Now that I have imported everything into Maya there is a large mess to unwrap. Any progress is good progress. I clearly screwed up scaling along with the xyz axis.

Footage and Preliminary Tracking

I shot footage on the top of an open parking garage. I used two different lenses, 35mm 1.8, and a 10-16mm 2.8. The wider lens seems to have a lot of distortion or possibly a rolling shutter issue. I brought the wider footage into Nuke and started tracking the shot. The project presents many new difficulties to overcome. Accounting for size and spacing is very different. In my situation i will be landing or having a space shuttle/craft from the rooftop.

The next images are the clean plate, white balance, gray ball, and HDRi.

Early Nuke tracks as I attempt to build a point cloud to bring into Maya

Project 3 Concept

For the third project I am interested in incorporating a scfi aircraft or shuttle into a live environment. My pan would follow the aircraft through an unlikely location, landing it in a driveway or ally. 

Model credit: Digital Tutors