During the summer I watched the TV show black sails. That was a mistake. My brain wanted to know how the sails worked, after all I have been sailing all of my life. I knew that I was to busy to start down the “ncloth” rabbit hole in Maya but the sails just kept taunting me. I decided to play with some Houdini cloth and that’s where the problem started. After going through as much documentation as I could and following any tutorials I could find I decided that sim times were to long and I should go back to my space environment.
A few weeks passed and I ran into a friend from school. We caught up on each others current projects when he told me about how Houdini H17 would have a new cloth called Vellum. Soon after Houdini 17 was released and my life shifted to tall ships, ocean simulations, Substance Painter, and Vellum.
It did not take very long before I was able to test rig a free model of a ship I found online. The video below was proof that I could probably make an ocean environment complete with rigged sails on a ship. That was 3 months ago.
Since Vellum was so new there was not a lot of information available in the Houdini documentation so I treated it like the old cloth system and made some minor progress. The real problem started when I realized I could not find a well modeled ship for free. That meant that if I wanted to make a proper ocean environment I would need to model a ship. Who has time for that…I guess I do. Not having a job and needing a couple more projects for my demo reel I figured I would model a simple ship in Houdini. The following posts will be my journey into Houdini modeling. I learned a lot more then I expected. The biggest lesson being use the right tool for the job. I love Houdini but sometimes Maya can be faster and cleaner, especially when it comes to modeling and UVs.