Painting and Details

Eyes were an issue, the left eye has the pupil layer shut off and the right eye on showing the HDR reflection I was trying to capture. The rest of the texturing and painting was trial and error. I'm happy with the results for a first time sculpt.

Painting and Texturing.

The eyes were very difficult, Zbrush has a strange way of handling transparency. It's deffinitly a topic I will revisit in the future or find a way to touch up the reflections durring the composite.

closeEyes.JPG

Making a Mess of Topology, Learning the hard way

Making a mess of geometry. Next we used the Decimation Master lugin to remesh the model into a manageable poly count allowing us to move the model into Topogun. This is where I learned all about the importance of edge flow. I made a lot of mistakes as I found out later when trying to UV the model. This is a classic case where you need make mistakes in order to learn from them. The next topology work I do will have more thought out lines. After unwrapping my first attempt at UVing the character looked more like a spaghetti monster.  

Next was to play with some topology software called Wrap 3 by R3DS. They have a 15 day trial so I gave it a shot. It seems to work best with hi-resolution scans but I was able to get some decent topology after a while very quickly. The more I played with it the faster the wraps took. 

Zbrush Character Progression

Learning Zbrush has been a challenge. Starting with the interface, It took several days to get a feel for how you use it. To me, it was unintuitive and overwhelming. Like many software packages it's bloated with old tools alongside the new tools and offers hundreds of options that take some time to feel out. The modeling and sculpting process  are also very different as you learn to navigate the various meshes while exploring brushes and tools at the same time. This blog is a record of my journey. 

I'm starting this in the middle of the quarter just after Midterms were due this is my progress so far. I will do some backtracking to record my achievments and mistakes.

Blocking Out and initial Shape

These are some early attempts in Zbrush. I have had a hard time understanding the remeshing process between Dynamesh, ZRemsher, and Projection. My detail levels have been all over the map. For now I will continue to focus on the face because most of the body will be coverd with armor. 

My goal is to create a SciFi Marine inspired by the ODST from Halo. The reference image in the center will be what I am going for. I built out the parts individually using the Zmodeler tool. I sat and watched all the short tutorials on Pluralsites learning page about the Zmodeler tool. It was well worth it. It's intimidating at first, once you understand Qmesh you can quickly block out hard surface parts.